INVENTORY OF THE BUTTERFLY SPECIES OF COTACACHI CAYAPAS ECOLOGICAL RESERVE - ECUADOR
Pierre Boyer and Jean-Claude Petit
We started the inventory of the butterflies of Cotacachi Cayapas Reserve in 2013.
Since that time we make all our data available on this site as soon as we get them, even though incomplete, particularly re. identifications. ; so they are everybody’s data,
So we need your help, from you who are familiar with the butterflies from Ecuador and the Andes, because:
- our data are incomplete, there are butterflies that we could not identify, and obviously there will be mistakes in our work, so your comments will prove very helpful,
- and maybe you know of interesting butterflies that have been collected in the Reserve area? and these data would be priceless ; thank you.
And for those of you who use these pages to identify specimens, we’ve added a new thumbnail function that should prove very helpful ; you can have an overview of all species within a category (going from « Family » down to « Genus »), and you can select :
- males and/or females, as well as
- UP and/or UN
We’re waiting for your feedback
We are particularly grateful for guiding us through difficult groups, and identifying many specimens, to:
- Maurizio Bollino, for Papilionidae and Pieridae, and more particularly Catasticta and Leodonta that he is presently revising,
- Ernst Brockmann for Hesperiidae, and more precisely Pyrrhopygini, Eudaminae and Dalla,
- Robert Busby and Christophe Faynel for Lycaenidae another incredibly complex family,
- Bernard Hermier for Hesperridae an extremely difficult group for which there is very little documentation,
- Tomasz Pyrcz,Uniwersytet Jagielloński, Kraków, Polska, for Pronophilini, a challenging group for which he is the leading expert in the world
- Fabio Vitale, for Heliconiidae and, more important, Ithomiidae, another baffling group,
- and Keith R Willmott, who is about to publish a book on the Butterflies of Ecuador, and who is so kind as to share with us his amazing knowledge of the butterflies from this country.